Not sure why this is called Aunt Margaret’s Dilly Bread, I don’t have an Aunt Margaret, but here is what I know – my mom made this every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas and it is delicious!! I now make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas and everyone LOVES it!! It is so incredibly easy to prepare and it always turns out great.
AUNT MARGARET’S DILLY BREAD
- Combine 1 package of dry yeast and 2 tbls. sugar in 1/4 c. lukewarm water. Let sit until bubbly – 5 to 10 minutes.
- While waiting for yeast to activate, combine the following ingredients:
- 1 c. cottage cheese – room temperature
- 1 tbls. minced onion – I used dried
- 1 tbls. butter – room temperature
- 2 tsp. dill seed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg
- Mix together until combined. Add yeast mixture and combine.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of flour and mix
Put in a bread pan and let rise in a warm area for 2 hours.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
Serve warm with butter! Yummy!